Monday, April 22, 2019

1965 Liverpool railway accident

On 31 October 1965 a goods train collided with a suburban train at Liverpool station.  As the accident occurred at 1:15am there was only 15 or so people on the passenger train. Unfortunately, one of those passengers passed away at the scene as a result of injuries sustained in the collision.

One of our family members, who lived nearby, went to see the result of the accident the next day.  The following two photos were taken, and show the devastation caused by the accident.  I have debated whether to ever post these photos, given their nature.  On balance I have decided to publish them to illustrate the lack of safety design in earlier rolling stock.  I will be on this blog at some stage in the future complaining about the crappy seats in Waratah trains, but I think I would prefer to be in a modern suburban carriage than what was on offer in 1965.



The poor lad who lost his life that morning (he was 19 years of age) was in one of the rear carriages of the train. Those carriages received the brunt of the impact from the Albury-bound freight train, which was travelling at 60 mph (100kph) at the time of the accident.

Back next time with a cheerier installment.

Cheers,
Don  

2 comments:

  1. I am really loving the theme/design of your blog. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility problems? A few of my blog audience have complained about my site not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari. Do you have any suggestions to help fix this issue?
    golf clubs sydney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Warren, I am a bit of a Luddite so just chose one of the standard templates on offer. This one works well for mobile and desktop but some are shockers. Guess I just fluked it, given I like all (steam) things black. Cheers & happt blogging! Don

    ReplyDelete