Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Orange was the new black

I have just been digging through the family archives to find a small bunch of photos that I think I may have skipped over previously... and only because the majority are an unsightly orange hue.  I was never much of a fan of the orange locos scuttling around Port Kembla, as they had:
(a) replaced those cute Porters 
(b) orange was everywhere in the 60s and 70s when I was growing up 
(c) their Port Kembla abode just stank of sulphur throughout the 60s and 70s and 
(d) the head of the household was always cursing their radios (I am led to believe his electrical skills were the only thing keeping the radios on those locos working!).

But, now, looking back, they were sooo much better than those PB things now scuttling around the works..  So, here's a few snaps... not sure of the dates at all so I am just going to stick them up without a commentary. Lets start with D11 and D36, maybe around 1981.


D6 got into a bingle at some stage, which bent its frame nicely. This was worth two photographs.


In February 2016 I posted a blog showing one side of D6.  Here is the companion shot - showing the other side.


And here is D6 and its slightly younger sister, D7.


Its not all about D6 folks.... here's one of D10 visiting the deceased remains of S 9131.


Class leader had its privileges, like dragging tourists around in near-condemned NSWGR rollingstock. I think this was from 1985 - quite possibly the slowest train chase I ever did.


Five years after that last shot it was D40's turn, with similarly superannuated carriages and no orange paint (we had been through the 80s, after all).


And then everything got painted blue, buildings, locos, certain workers who didn't move fast enough...

Time to sign off!
Don

No comments:

Post a Comment