Friday, December 6, 2019

Tin hares, part 9

I have been trying to improve my use of the 'labels' feature of this blog, which makes searching easier for me if not for my readers. I was a bit surprised to find no fewer than 8 posts covering CPHs in whole or part.  I guess it shows just what a versatile piece of rolling-stock they were/are.

This versatility is reflected in the following rather lengthy blog, as I attempt to post a bunch of previously unused shots of varying quality taken over a 45 year period. This period ended a decade ago and there are still a number of units plying their trade honourably around NSW's rail system.

I will start with a photo which I am guessing was a 'point and shoot at that' opportunity.  Not sure who got this one - I was about 1 year old when 3268 and CPH 32 were photographed around  Menangle in 1964.

About a decade later, CPH 34 was picked up arriving at Thirlmere with the shoppers' special in 1975.  We were out there as Dad was helping to establish the RTM's site.  This is one of his shots.  I won't be posting my effort!

The following year Dad took a ride to Hay and return on a CPH.  He still complains about the quality of the ride/seating.

Around 1980 I idly snapped this consist of CPH 22, a CTH and another CPH at Sutherland.  It was idling, waiting for a near-clapped out Budd set to arrive. It was raining, which is also something you don't see much of these days.

This next one is also a point and shoot - from the road at Dunmore.  Perhaps not the greatest composition but I have always liked railmotors being juxtaposed against the landscape.

One of the first CPHs to operate as a heritage item was CPH 6, photographed here in Dubbo on the long weekend in October 1985.


While some were in heritage operations, others were still trundling along in revenue service for the NSW Government. A grotty CPH 33 was providing hair/hare raising rides to Moss Vale at the time this photo was snapped in 1989. 

In Easter 1994 CPH 24 and CPH 16 were to be found at Cowra.


CPH 18 can be found in 2019 trundling the Picton to Mittagong loopline.  Here is, having just been returned to service, at Sydney Terminal at Central Station's 100th birthday celebrations on 5 August 2006. 


Any review of tin hares must acknowledge the great work of the Railmotor Society in maintaining its collection of these beasts.  Here are a couple at Maitland Steamfest in 2009.


Cheers!
Don

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete