Thursday, April 29, 2021

Reminiscing about the near past

When thinking about blog posts I always seem to be reaching for the file folder called '1966' or '1978'.  Sure, these were golden periods of the NSW railways, although 1978 was more brown than golden.

There has been another golden period since in my usually ill-considered opinion - from about 1998 to 2007.  So, lets wind back the clock a mere 15 years, to 1 May 2006.  It was during a period that I had many reasons to visit Canterbury, Dullo and Marrickville - almost all associated with work.  Now I am out of things I can confess to writing many a government brief on the seats at Canterbury station, stopping only to snap the passing traffic. And we think working away from the office is a new thing! Anyway, on 1 May 2006 the youngster and I snaffled many trains - here are six...

The day started with a tidy trippy led by 4483 and 4471. 


.. quickly followed by 2203 and two CLPs headed for the Illawarra... I stuffed the going away shot (at least the 422 is in focus)...

Jumping down the line to Marrick Vegas we scored 44208 and KL81 top and tailing a container train out of Port Botany....



Out of the XPT depot, 4833 did what it does best... smoke.


Just over the weeds, GL105, 4903 and EL51 arrived from points west/north.


And then 4708 and 4458 arrived... 


Ho hum... more Alcos... stuffed the arriving but not the going away shot... 4503 in its Big Red Tomato livery with a more sedate liveried 4468.

That was six trains, but the bonus seventh train involved 4701 and two dilapidated GMs.



I have just managed this entire blog without posted a PacNat blue loco, demonstrating it was a golden era indeed!

Cheers,

Don


2 comments:

  1. Hi Don, always interested in your posts as they capture scenes not extensively covered in other publications or photo collections. Particularly enjoy your 1978-1980 content as that's the period I model!
    Cheers,
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was indeed a great period to witness - all those great colour schemes! I really did like seeing those ARG Bulldogs making their way through the countryside all around the state. I have been tempted to model this period, with all its variety, but 1984 has some great colours, plus the last vestiges of a well-equipped extensive railway system.

    I did have a look over some of my 'older' photos after reading your post. I was surprised to find a shot of quad ELs on a grain passing four green Alcos on an ore run through Ardglen, something that will probably never occur again, just like what is captured in all the other photos on this blog..

    ReplyDelete