Saturday, May 26, 2018

Hawkesbury - October 1958

Another collection from the camera of Mr Ian Brady, this time collected on 11 October 1958.  These photos are perhaps my favourite batch of Ian's collection purchased secondhand by a mate, for reasons which will be obvious from the very first photograph.  Here it is, 4420 helped along by a 43, back to back!


There'll be more Alco goodness along the way, but lets move to a couple of standard goods locos getting things underway at Hawkesbury River.


On this day on the Short North, Ian photographed seven of the 30-strong C38 class, starting with the most-junior (and green) member on an up Flyer.

 

Next we have 38s 25, 16, 12,15, 10 and 07.

 
 
  
 

I was thinking about starting a competition to see which reader could explain what is going on with 3807 in this last picture.  It appears to be an up train on the down main, and then there is the issue of a gentleman standing in the permanent way, chatting to the crew.  Anyway, enough of that.  Back to trains... time for another Alco, or two.


Back to the Cowan side of things. Time for three little pigs. First pig is 3617 with an up local passenger.

And if you like pigs on passengers, how about popping 5175 (I think) on the front of one?


The third little pig Ian photographed that day also seems to be be wrong road on Cowan bank.



And I'll finish with 4011 getting a help up the bank.


I presume Ian decided not to photograph a few trains that day, as they were then too prosaic to waste expensive film - he was shooting Kodak. But gee, what a collection by a very talented shutterbug.

Might have to get back to pasting a few of my shots up on this blog sometime.

Cheers,
Don


2 comments:

  1. Hi Don, I am very impressed with your Blog and the historic photos you have on it. I am currently creating 1/32 Scale R-Type carriages and I would love to be able to contact you about using some of your photos of them in use on The Southern Highlands Express and SH Daylight Express on my new website at barnardbuilt.com .I would love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Warren, thanks for the compliment. I have just checked out your website, it looks terrific! I think I have successfully sent you my email address through your website.
    Cheers,
    Don

    ReplyDelete